‘Kia Maanu Kia Ora’
Stay afloat to stay alive
Sponsorship is available to Ngāti Whakaue children aged 6months to 14 years to assist with costs to attend SwimMagic Rotorua at Rotorua Lakes Council Aquatic Centre.
The aim of the sponsorship is to increase the safety of Ngāti Whakaue children in and around water. Ngāti Whakaue children participating in “Kia Maanu Kia Ora” will learn:
- To enjoy and to be safe and confident in and around waterways, swimming pools etc.
- Technical swimming skills.
- Knowledge, skills, and attitudes that can, post Kia Maanu Kia Ora, enable them to engage in competitive swimming should they so wish.
ONLINE application form NOW OPEN
Quick view - Summary of sponsorship terms
Full Sponsorship Details below:
Applications for 2022 (Term 4) have closed.
Online Applications for 2023 ARE NOW OPEN
For existing children in the sponsorship programme, we will trial a new system in December 2022 whereby you will be emailed a Link and form to enable you to indicate if you wish to renew your sponsorship for 2023. If you wish to apply for sponsorship for a new child, you will need to complete a new application form.
IMPORTANT - re term fees from Term 4 2022
SwimMagic have advised of possible interruptions to lessons for some children, due to major site renovations being undertaken by RLC from 20 November 2022. SwimMagic have emailed all current participating whanau, advising changes to accommodate fees being paid per lessons swum, instead of full term upfront.
SwimMagic will report to NWEETB at the end of each term, on the amount of fees paid and lessons swum - sponsorship refunds will be based on that. Attendance is still required at 80% or 60% but given whanau will only be paying for lessons actually swum, this should not be an issue.
Please contact SwimMagic directly if you have any queries regarding fees & enrolments.
NWEE: 29 Sept 2022
- NWEETB reserves the right to restrict the number of places available to any one family (based on demand for places and the equitable and fair distribution of places across Ngati Whakaue families).
- This fund will not cover Swimming Club membership fees (that is, annual fees and pool entry for example, for Rotorua swimming clubs).
- NWEETB takes no responsibility for the swimming programme itself. Parents who may have enquiries or concerns regarding the programme are asked to communicate directly with the SwimMagic Rotorua at the Rotorua Aquatic Centre.
Full Sponsorship Details
The level of sponsorship will be 75% of the term fee paid.
- SwimMagic Rotorua fees per child, per (school) term are $130 [prices from Jan.2023] (based on a 10-week school term, this can vary);
- Fee to be paid in full by parent/caregiver at enrolment/start of term.
- If minimum attendance is achieved NWEETB will reimburse 75% of the term fee paid per child, at the end of the term, by direct bank lodgement.
- Sponsorship ceases on child completing Gold level, or turning 15, whichever is earliest.
Application and Enrolment
- Grant applications for 2022 are to be completed ONLINE. The form link is at the bottom of this page.
- You MUST upload a verified whakapapa sheet. (CLICK here to print blank sheet for completion).
- Eligibility for the programme will be determined by NWEETB, on application received. The Board will recognise those applicants (including legally adopted children) who are Ngāti Whakaue descendant of an original owner of Pukeroa Oruawhata Block or, to descendants of one or more of the six Koromatua o Ngāti Whakaue.
- The online form is currently restricted to 2 children per whanau. The Board have recently lifted that restriction. If you wish to enrol more than 2 children, you will need to complete an additional application form.
- Application is on a first in first served basis – places are limited to 150. Please advise NWEETB if you are unable to take up the sponsorship, to allow another child to participate.
- Successful applicants will receive an email confirming eligibility for sponsorship, in time for enrolment in Term 1.
- Successful applicants will enrol their child/ren with SwimMagic Rotorua and pay 100% of the required fee. (SwimMagic Rotorua offer a 10% discount on production of NWEE approval letter/email). For details of this process and the times available, please contact SwimMagic at Rotorua Aquatic Centre on Tarewa Road, ph. 07 348 8833.
- Eligibility for successive NWEETB sponsorship for your child/ren during the year, will require attendance as follows:
- Age 3 years – 14 years: minimum of 80% of term lessons (e.g., 8 out of 10 lessons)
- Ages 6 months – 3 years: minimum of 60% of term lessons. (e.g., 6 out of 10 lessons)
- SwimMagic Rotorua will provide NWEETB with an attendance report at the end of each term.
Continued Sponsorship for 2023
At the end of each term, you will be notified in writing of reimbursement approval, or failure to meet the criteria for reimbursement.
- If your child meets the attendance criteria, sponsorship will continue into the next term (during 2023) – successful participants will receive a confirmation letter and reimbursement advice. You do not need to reapply each term.
- Those children who do not meet the attendance criteria will not receive reimbursement of fees and will not be eligible to receive sponsorship for the remainder of 2023.
- Sponsorship must be renewed EACH YEAR.
**For existing children in the sponsorship programme, we will trial a new system in December 2022 whereby you will be emailed a Link and form to enable you to indicate if you wish to renew your sponsorship for 2023. If you wish to apply for sponsorship for a new child, you will need to complete a new application form.
Applications for 2022 (Term 4) have closed.
Online Applications for 2023 NOW OPEN**.